My stereotype
I dated a black girl when we were in 8th grade, and after weeks of dating she came up to me and said, "my friend thought you were racist!" like I was supposed to laugh about it. I didn't it made me uncomfortable, there was nothing I did to make me look this way, besides what I was physically born with. I am white and because of that people assumed I'm racist, this expectation made me think I was doing something wrong or I wasn't acting how I should around my black friends. this caused a rift, a conversational road block, I couldn't figure out what I needed to do differently causing me to be uncomfortable in conversations, and I realized I became what I was afraid of, by being afraid. I chose to forget that and tell myself there was nothing wrong with the way I spoke to people. It was the single story that hurt me.
Aug 24
Comments
Post a Comment